Tuesday 4 March 2014

Such a 'lawable' thing!

I got started with my third law internship this February the 14th! I was ready to undertake a 70 km. travel everyday only for this internship because Crawford Bayley & Co. was one of my dreams! Being a student of Law for four years,I was well aware of what was hot in the market for us.Plus all thanks to my dad,who is a legal practitioner himself, helped me with making my CV and taught me how to face interviews.Located at Fort,Mumbai,it's one of the very old law firms having its incorporation in the year 1830 and ranking within the top 15 in the country.I was extremely excited to be associated with CBC but at the same time,there was an equally serious realization of having a tedious schedule to be followed everyday from dawn to dusk,not to forget the exasperating local train journeys.But all said and done,I was ready for everything.

It's been half a month since I have been a part of the daily hustle and bustle and immense workload but for a fact,I am enjoying every moment of it.It all starts with the 9 14 CST bound train in the morning on which I meet my train friends(you make train friends as fast as you blink your eyes).After having traveled for an hour until CST,I embark on a 5 minute bus journey from there to Fort and thereafter,a 5 minute walk until my office,and there I am!

I take time to get adjusted to a new environment with new people around and new rules to be followed,and yes,the dress code!I had to take out all the Indian dresses out of my closet which i had not worn in as much as 2-3 years.All the Associates and interns here are very affable.They will approach you themselves and inquire about your academics.In no time,I started spending my lunch breaks with them along with 4 pm tea/coffee/maggi breaks.

The first ever work I was assigned was working up on 12 agreements which easily weighed more than i did! On learning the same,I could probably sense what was in for me in the months to come.Also,until now,I have been finding it too difficult to take time out for my fourth year law exam which will be taking place this May. Work and travel eat up most of my energy,so I tend to push studies further to May when I will be granted a leave from office.

Apparently,bookish knowledge and core desk work have nothing in common.What you study at college or write in your exams is gigantically different from what you do at office.So right now,I'm getting the best of both worlds and basking in that satiating feeling.My first visit to the Bombay High Court took place because of a certain matter I was working on and I was befuddled at the hearing: the overwrought atmosphere all around along with violent lawyers who did not leave any stone unturned to prove their clients' innocence,the Justice seated at the highest position in the court room hearing to everyone's justifications,the stenographer lost in her work and the clients who stood there with baited breath.I also got to see the court room where Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak was tried. Everything was very intriguing about that place.In the past fortnight,I have gained impeccable experiences and I wish to gain more!!

                                      
I loved writing my first ever post on my blog,hope you enjoyed reading the same!
Signing off right now only to turn up the next time with something interesting to share! Happy reading,stay healthy and blessed!           

4 comments:

  1. Superb start to a new blog and a brilliant career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! Very relatable, as a law student :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Divya! Thank you very much ! Happy you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete